Growing up in South Africa, we would only have lemon meringue pie on really special occasions. The traditional South African lemon meringue pie is very rich and decadent, so it is not a dessert you want to have regularly. The same trend is followed in our home today.
In our home, lemon meringue pie (and fudge) has to be made in secret. I have learned my lesson one-too-many times, so I don’t tell anyone what I’m making until it’s almost done. Otherwise, I’d have kids hanging around the kitchen, eager to get the first slice.
This particular pie has only 4 ingredients, with a store-bought crust being the 5th ingredient. It is very easy and beginner-friendly!
As you will see from the short list of ingredients, this is not a gelatin kind of pie. No shade on those lemon meringue jello/gelatin pies but once you’ve had the recipe below, it’s really hard to love the jello/gelatin version.
5-Ingredient Easy Lemon Meringue Pie
Prep Time: 15mins | Cook Time: 15 mins | Servings: 8 | Difficulty: Easy
Lemon Meringue Pie Ingredients
1 can condensed milk
½ cup lemon juice
2 eggs, separated
3½ tablespoons powdered sugar
store-bought, prepared crust
- Preheat your oven to 350° Fahrenheit.
- Add the condensed milk to a bowl.
- Add the lemon juice, little by little. Stir as you add.
- Separate the eggs. Add the yolks to the mixture, and stir.
- Stir the mixture into your prepared crust.
- Bake for 10 minutes in your preheated oven.
- TO MAKE THE MERINGUE: In a clean bowl, add the egg whites.
- With a hand mixer, beat the eggs. Gradually add the powdered sugar and beat until stiff peaks are formed.
- Spread meringue over the pie. Make sure to seal the edges at the crust.
- Bake for an additional 15 minutes until the meringue is golden brown.
- Allow your lemon meringue pie to cool down before you slice and serve.