The key to successful packing is choosing versatile clothing for travel. By choosing versatile pieces, you can mix and match your clothes to create multiple outfits and looks.
The recommended pieces below lend themselves to:
- Easy mixing and matching—you can create completely new outfits;
- Versatility—you can take it from day to night with just a few changes;
- Traveling light—these pieces won’t take up too much room in your suitcase.
Versatile clothing for travel - what to choose
A maxi skirt is an important part of your suitcase because it is so versatile. It can take you from a casual day of sightseeing in sandals to a night on the town in heels. To really pull it off, change your top and add accessories to create a more glamorous look.
Why choose maxi skirts?
- They’re comfortable—you have freedom of movement and your legs are not restricted by fabric.
- They’re convenient;
- They’re easy to style, mix and match;
- They’re effortlessly chic—you can look great with either a plain t-shirt or a fancy blouse;
People seem to have mixed feelings about leggings, but if you are traveling, they’re a girl’s best friend. Here’s why:
- They take up very little room in your suitcase;
- They’re not just for working out;
- They’re easy to dress up or down;
- They’re comfortable, allowing you to be flexible and move around freely;
- They’re stretchy, made with soft material that wraps around your legs.
- They’re lightweight.
- They go with everything. You can wear it under a skirt, with an athletic top or with a silky blouse.
- They’re available in many colors so that you can easily mix and match your outfits.
- They’re perfect for almost any occasion. Wear them while sightseeing, or dress them up at night with a nice top, shoes, and accessories.
- Jeggings (leggings that look like jeans) are the most comfortable alternative to actual jeans.
Try to go with simple, solid-colored tanks. They’re versatile, lightweight, and they take up hardly any room. You can wear them with shorts and sandals during the day, then switch to a maxi skirt and heels for the evening.
A pashmina or long scarf
Even if you are traveling through the summer, do not dismiss these because they can be very handy. Pashminas or long scarves can be:
- worn as a scarf to keep you warm on the airplane;
- worn around your shoulders like a shawl if you are going out at night;
- wrapped around your waist to wear as a skirt.
You cannot go wrong with maxi dresses. They are ridiculously easy for traveling because it’s one piece, and you only have to match them with your shoes.
Dress them down with sandals during the day, then dress them up with heels and accessories at night.
Even if you are traveling during summer, it’s always a good idea to throw in a lightweight sweater, just in case. It can get cold on airplanes, and some places crank up their air conditioners ridiculously high. Even if you don’t plan to be indoors much during your vacation, keep in mind that mornings or evenings might be a little chilly.
Comfortable flats or sandals
If you plan on walking a lot on your vacation, you’ll need comfortable shoes. Flats or sandals are usually a good idea. For nights, you’ll need a nice pair of shoes too. Choose comfortable shoes that will match the outfits you are planning to take.
Versatile clothing for travel - how to choose
Now that you know what to get, keep in mind that you will be traveling and you want to make things as easy as possible for yourself. Here are a few best practices for versatile clothing for travel;
- Choose clothes that do not need ironing;
- As much as you can, choose solid colors so that your clothes are easy to mix and match;
- Choose comfortable clothes. You’re on vacation—this is not the time for sore feet because you picked pretty but uncomfortable shoes;
- Choose clothes that will work in different settings. For example, a tank top and shorts work great for walks on the beach. That same tank top can be dressed up with a jacket later that day.
- Choose decent quality. You have a limited amount of clothes and you don’t want any of them accidentally ripping because it was bad quality.
- Choose clothes that travel light. Airlines have weight restrictions so you want to go as light as possible.