This is a novel about racism, injustice, despair, and loss. It tells a heart-wrenching story of a father’s search for his son, as he journeys from rural South Africa to the city of Johannesburg.
The book reveals the brutality of apartheid. It is full of darkness and despair but also of hope for a better future.
Quick facts about Cry the beloved country:
- It is hailed as one of the greatest South African novels;
- The book was originally published in 1948;
- It has been translated into over 20 languages.
- It was part of Oprah’s Book Club.
- It was initially published in the USA, thereby bringing international attention to the situation in South Africa.